Sunday, September 28, 2008

Have you ever seen butter fly?


Butter really can't fly, you know. I visited Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden this weekend to witness the release of the butterflies in the orchid conservatory. What a cool thing! You'll need to make plans to visit soon, because the butterfly exhibit will only run through the end of October.


This weekend, the Garden had lots of special events planned for families - - face painting, music, food, other exhibits. I arrived at the Garden early, just after opening time at 9am. The butterflies were just waking up. I was told that they're cold blooded, and don't really become active until the sun warms them up a bit. I enjoyed a few quiet moments, then watched as families began to arrive with baby strollers, toddlers, and cameras galore!
Now back to butter flying. The more I thought about it, the more I began to wonder, so I "Googled" a bit. Seems there are several theories about where butterflies got their name. One theory is that many butterflies are yellow, the color of butter. Another idea is that they were attracted to milk & butter churning. (I'm not buying that.) Yet another theory was that the name started as "flutterby" . . . which makes some sense . . . and then dyslexia set in. Whatever the origin, they are beautiful creatures, so be sure to venture out to Daniel Stowe soon!
Thanks for reading my blog. For more blogs about living in Lake Wylie, Lake Wylie real estate, and my work with dock construction and boat lifts, and Carolina Edgefield pottery, take a look at my other blogs!

1 comment:

Red Clay Gallery said...

Actually, because of their attraction to sweet things, getting their name from fluttering around the butter churn, is the most likely way they got their name...